ACEF Lanaudière

The ACEF is a community organisation that provides information and assistance in managing personal finances or problems experienced by consumers.

Our services

Help with personal finances

– Are you concerned about your financial situation?

– Has debt or a change in circumstances turned everything upside down?

– Do you need to budget for a project that’s close to your heart?

This free and confidential service offers you a consultation to get an overview of your financial situation and identify possible courses of action.

If you’d like to improve the way you manage your personal finances yourself, you can use our Budget Grids.

Help for consumers

– Are you wondering whether you can cancel a purchase contract?

– Are you wondering about a guarantee?

– Are you not happy with a retailer’s response?

– Would you like to know more before buying a valuable good or service?

This free and confidential service can answer your questions and identify possible courses of action.

If you want to do it yourself, you can consult the Information / References sections.

For the purchase of an urgently needed good or service, a loan may be available to people who do not have access to traditional credit despite their ability to repay. You can check your eligibility by contacting us.

Information on personal finance


Agreements between landlords and tenants are set out in a document called a «lease» (contract). Most leases are renewable annually. Landlords cannot increase the rent or change the terms of a lease at will.

In Quebec, the Tribunal administratif du logement (TAL) sets the percentage applicable to the annual adjustment of the cost of housing each year, based on well-defined criteria.

If the landlord wishes to make changes to the lease, he or she must notify you in advance and respect the following deadlines:

Lease termDeadline
12 months or lessbetween 3 and 6 months before the end of the lease
less than 12 monthsbetween 1 and 2 months before the end of the lease
indefinite durationbetween 1 and 2 months before the requested change
Income Tax

In Canada and Quebec, tax returns are an annual obligation. Every year, employers and various organisations (government, financial, etc.) have until February 28 to provide you with the statements you need to file your tax returns.

The idea of doing your tax return may seem complicated, but it is an important step that opens the door to many financial benefits. For example, you could be eligible for various social programs and refundable tax credits that will put money straight back into your pocket. You may also be entitled to other credits that will reduce the amount of tax you have to pay, if any. These credits may include benefits for families, students, tenants and many others. Doing your taxes properly will allow you to maximise these benefits.

If you have a modest income, many organisations offer help with filing your returns. These services are often free or at low cost. Trained volunteers are available to guide you through the process. You can find these services by searching the Government of Canada website.

For any tax-related questions, you can consult the official websites of the Government of Canada and Revenu Québec.


Understanding the importance of the main types of insurance and the implications of not having them can help you make informed decisions to ensure the safety of your property and your loved ones.

Car insurance

If you own a car in Quebec, you are required to have third-party liability insurance to cover any material damage you may cause to others. If you don’t have this insurance, you could risk:

  • fines,
  • suspension of your driving licence,
  • financial obligations to pay for damage caused to others.

Although insurance against damage, theft or vandalism of your car is not compulsory, we strongly recommend that you consider it, depending on the value of your vehicle.

Home insurance

If you are a tenant, you do not need to insure the building, as this is your landlord’s responsibility. However, if you do not insure your belongings and the building catches fire, for example, you will not be financially compensated for the purchase of your belongings. Landlord’s insurance does not cover the contents of apartments.

Home insurance is not compulsory for tenants, but we strongly encourage you to take out insurance. Home insurance covers your possessions against theft, fire or other risks such as a broken water pipe, and includes «third-party liability». This protection against civil proceedings for injuries or unintentional damage caused to others by your negligence, such as water damage or a dog bite, can avoid disastrous financial consequences.

Life insurance

Life insurance is a way of quickly leaving a little money to your loved ones to help meet financial obligations in the event of your death. It is paid out in a single, tax-free payment that your beneficiary or beneficiaries can use at their discretion. Although its main use is often to replace lost income or to help pay for funeral expenses, this is not compulsory.

Take the time to consider your specific needs and discuss them with a professional to find the best solution for you. You can also find out more about insurance, investments and savings by visiting the Autorité des marchés financiers website.

Office de la protection du consommateur

The Office de la protection du consommateur is an agency of the Government of Québec. The Office interact with merchants to make sure that they respect their obligations towards consumers. Their involvement focuses on helping consumers make sound choices and on keeping consumers informed of their rights, obligations and possible recourses should they run into problems with a merchant.

Find out more about these topics by visiting the Office de la protections du consommateur website.

  • Assessing your needs
  • Cellular phone services
  • Credit cards
  • Daycare centres
  • Debts ans collections
  • Furniture and appliances
  • Offers to go into business
  • Offers to work from home
  • Online puchases
  • Price accuracy
  • Purchasing from an itinerant merchant
  • Registering for a course
  • Used cars
  • Warraties

Other documentation

Credit card